Following my last update on the blog, we went back to Camp 1 with the objective to carry tents & fixed rope up to Camp 2 at Makalu La at 7,300m. Unfortunately the wind was too strong while we waited 3 days for a lull. However, this was great acclimatisation to this high altitude.
After a few days back at Base Camp, we then went back to Camp 1 and we finally succeeded yesterday in carrying this gear to Camp 2 at Makalu La. This section is the steepest part of the route on Makalu with views to Everest, Lhotse, Ama Dablam and Mera Peak.
The forecast for tomorrow is snow so we will wait in Base Camp until conditions improve. Then we will head up to sleep at Makalu Base Camp. Once we have done this we should be ready for a summit attempt given good weather conditions.
Watch this space!